376 Alfred Street, North Sydney/Cammeray (demolished mid-1960s)
‘Hanney’ was designed by the English-born architect Edward Jeaffreson Jackson who greatly influenced the development of Federation-era architecture in Sydney.
It was built at what would become 376 Alfred Street, Cammeray, in 1896 - before street numbers had been assigned to that far northerly stretch of the street and the name of the suburb given to acknowledge the Cammeraygal people who had originally owned all of North Sydney.
Jackson moved in to the house around 1900 having leased it out, for at least three years, to an engineer called William Kemp. The building shows the variety of shapes and materials that typified Jackson’s work and buildings designed in the Arts and Crafts style which was part of the broader English Revival / Federation style in Sydney. There is un-rendered brick on the lower storey and ‘roughcasting’ on the upper level. By then the use of hung timber shingles would have been familiar to many in North Sydney. They show the influence of the work of American born Sydney architect John Horbury Hunt.
The tall striated brick chimneys are reminiscent of the work of the English Revival architect Richard Norman Shaw in Britain.
‘Hanney’ is one of North Sydney’s countless lost houses, and one of the hundreds of homes that were demolished to build the Warringah Expressway in the 1960s. It once sat where Ernest Street now passes over the Expressway. In 2010, the nearby parkway was named ‘Jeaffreson Jackson Reserve’ in honour of the architect and his erstwhile home.